As sequels usually do, Underworld: Evolution continues the story about the war between vampires and werewolves (or Lycans as they are called) that was introduced in the first Underworld film. Don’t worry if you haven’t watched the first one as this sequel shows extensive flashbacks to ensure you know what’s going on. How thoughtful.
So in Underworld: Evolution, sexy death-dealer Selene (Kate Beckinsale) and mildly attractive vampire-lycan hybrid Michael Corvin (Scott Speedman) are on the run after doing something really bad in the first film. They are being hunted by vampire elder leader Marcus (Tony Curran), who fails to obtain an artifact in Selene’s possession. Recognizing the importance of the said possession, Selene and Michael travel to the hideout of Andreas Tanis, an exiled vampire historian. Tanis tells a rather convoluted tale and refers them to Lorenz Macaro, stating he can help stop Marcus. Lorenz tells his story to the pair but is cut short as Marcus finds and attacks them. People get killed and Marcus boldly says he will become a god and rule a race of hybrids. Marcus then flies away, but Selene and a team of “cleaners” track him down and set the scene for an epic battle that will change the history of the two warring factions…
Hit the jump to read about the special features on the disc.
Underworld: Evolution has a run time of 106 minutes and has an age restriction of 16 (LV). This Blu-ray release presents the film re-mastered in High Definition (HD) and comes with the following special features:
- Audio Commentary — commentary with director, production designer, editor, etc.
- The Hybrid Theory — shows off the visual effects
- The War Rages On — shows how the stunt scenes were coordinated
- Bloodlines: From Script to Screen — shows the making-of aspects
- Making Monsters Roar — details how the creature effects were made
- Building a Saga — focuses on the production design
- Music and Mayhem — focuses on the sound design
- Music Video — “Her Portrait in Black” by Atreyu
Underworld: Evolution was kindly supplied for review by Nelmari Claassens, SterKinekor Entertainment Marketing Manager for Sony Pictures. Go to www.bluraydisc.co.za to view the latest Blu-ray news, reviews and competitions featured on SterKinekor Entertainment’s newsletter. Sony Pictures can be found on the Web at www.sonypictures.com.