Mid-week! Ya-fracking-hoo! HAPPY BIRTHDAY y’all. Hope you have a super day and remember it’s only 3 more days til the freaking weekend.
Also born on the 14th of January are:
- 83 BC – Marcus Antonius aka Mark Anthony, Roman politician and General, best pals with Julius Caesar, lover of Queen Cleopatra of Egypt. He famously committed suicide and was shortly followed into the afterlife by Cleopatra. Their love story was immortalised by Shakespeare.
- 1741 – Benedict Arnold, accomplished American Continental Army General and turncoat/traitor during the American Revolutionary War.
- 1861 – Mehmed VI, last Sultan of the Ottoman Empire, reigning from 1918 to 1922
- 1875 – Albert Schweitzer, Alsatian, physician, Nobel laureate, theologian, musician, philosopher, and one of colonialisms harshest critics. Famous for founding a free hospital in rural Gabon at a time when most Europeans were only interested in exploiting Africa.
- 1904 – Sir Cecil Beaton, English fashion and portrait photographer, and Academy Award-winning stage and costume designer for films and theatre. Beaton worked as a staff photographer for Vanity Fair and Vogue , and in addition photographed many members of European royalty and Hollywood celebrities. Royal family. He was a raving bi-sexual but tended towards boys rather than girls.
- 1941 – Faye Dunaway, critically acclaimed American actress of Bonnie and Clyde, Chinatown, and Network fame. She received Academy Award nominations for Best Actress for her performances in Bonnie and Clyde and Chinatown, before winning the category with her 1976 performance in Network.
- 1946 – Harold Shipman, English general practitioner (i.e. a doctor) and convicted serial killer. He is the most prolific known serial killer in British history. 236 murders are ascribed to him, though the real number may be much higher, perhaps over 450.
- 1954 – “Hacksaw” Jim Duggan, American professional wrestler, inventor of the “American patriot” and kidney cancer survivor. He is currently the oldest active wrestler in WWE.
- 1963 – Steven Soderbergh, American film producer, screenwriter, cinematographer, editor, and Academy Award-winning director. Soderbergh launched his career with the film Sex, Lies and Videotape, but is better known for directing Erin Brokovich, Traffic, and the Ocean’s Eleven franchise.
- 1968 – James Todd Smith aka LL Cool J, American rapper and actor. LL Cool J stands for “Ladies Love Cool James”. Can you believe that this great big yummy hunk of rapping manliness spent most of his youth singing in the church choir, participating in the Boy Scouts, and delivering newspapers?
- 1969 – David Grohl, American drummer for the brilliant and all too short lived grunge band Nirava, and frontman songwriter for the almost as good (as Nirvana) Foo Fighters.
Thanks for the info Wikipedia.
Let me know if you’d like me to add a friend, family member or little ol’ you to our daily birthday lists of (famous) people. Mail me names, years of birth, and what makes you or them famous.